Bite valves are a wear and tear part and will periodically need to be replaced. The help article below has three sections:
- Reservoir Bite Valve, Sheath Replacement
- Reservoir Bite Valve, Complete Assembly Replacement
- Softflask Bite Valve, Sheath Replacement
Reservoir Bite Valve, Sheath Replacement
Often times the part that fails is the soft biting surface that is known as a sheath. Replacing the sheath is easy takes less 30 seconds.
1. Remove the sheath - Grasp the hard plastic part of the valve and in one hand and the sheath in the other and pull apart.
2. Install new sheath by pushing it onto the valve body.
Reservoir Bite Valve, Complete Replacement
Depending on the original problem with the bite valve, it is sometimes necessary to replace the entire bite valve. We define the bite valve as the complete assembly located at the end of the tube. This includes the hard plastic body and the soft biting material (known as a sheath.)
1. Remove the bite valve from the tube
Quite simply, the bite valve assembly needs to be pulled out of the tube. There are barbs that hold the bite valve to the tube. Grasp the tube in one hand and grab the bite valve plastic body in the other hand and pull hard. The bite valve will pull out of the tube.
Sometimes the valves can be difficult to remove. In this case, we recommend the following solution using hot water. Heat water up to 170 F / 77 C and place into a coffee cup. Place the bite valve and end of the tube into the cup and let it sit for 30 seconds.
Once the hose is heated up, the bite valve can be pulled out of the tube. Be careful as the plastic will be hot. We recommend covering the end with a towel and then grasping the bite valve assembly firmly and then pull it out of the tube.
2. Install the bite valve. Normally, you can press the new bite valve into the tube without any problem. If you find it is difficult to press into the tube, use the hot water method above to heat up the tube and then press the bite valve into the tube.
Softflask Bite Valve, Sheath Replacement
Much like a sheath replacement on a reservoir, the sheath replacement on a flask is quick and easy.
1. Remove the old sheath by pull it straight off of the flask.
2. Install the new sheath by pressing it onto the softflask.
That's all there is to it. Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.
Phone: (510) 632-8318